How to Eat Turmeric
It should be an easy answer. But for the majority of us raised on a Western diet, turmeric is still very exotic, even though it's included in many other products (yellow mustard, for example).
So how do you consume turmeric??
We asked this question in Doug English’s Turmeric User Group (over 270,000 members) to find out the most popular way to consume turmeric for people who are new to the flavour.What follows are some great ideas for people who may be struggling to consume turmeric at all, let alone on a daily basis.
IMPORTANT: To get the most benefit from turmeric, make golden paste and add that to your food or beverage. You can also add turmeric during cooking, as is done in the traditional cuisines of India. But wait until the dish is finished to stir in the pepper, or let each diner grind pepper over their own portion.
DO NOT cook Golden Paste again after it's prepared. If you need to add it to a cooked dish, wait until you're ready to serve the food and then mix in the golden paste.
In your drink...
By far the most popular option appears to be adding golden paste to a favourite drink. Here are a few of our members' suggestions:
- Create "Golden Milk" (Golden Paste mixed into the warmed milk of your choice)
- Mix into coffee
- Add to Tomato juice or V-8
- Include in a smoothie (avoid honey and other sweeteners!)
- Add to broth
- Include in fermented drinks such as kombucha, yoghurt or kefir
In your food...
- Soups and stews are a popular option as the flavour of golden paste does not dominate the final flavour
- As a salad dressing - add some golden paste to olive oil and apple cider vinegar and you have a tangy dressing
- In curries and stir-fries - the Asian diet is a terrific accompaniment to turmeric. Don’t forget to add golden paste to your sauce!
- With eggs - scrambled, omelettes and deviled
- In plain yoghurt - a teaspoon of golden paste with a tablespoon (or 2) of natural (unsweetened, non-dairy) yoghurt
There are lots of ways to eat Golden Paste...
- In your cereal, particularly porridge (oatmeal)
- With peanut butter
- Mixed with any savoury pudding, such as black pudding
- Spread on toast or on a cracker
- In Marmite or Vegemite
- Stirred in mashed potatoes, or tomato pasta sauce or with guacamole is great!
We add golden paste to a portion of chickpea hummus just before serving. Tastes fantastic.